Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Jason goes to SFFILM--Day 8

I skipped Tuesday, April 10th, because I was too busy at my day job. But I was back for two films on Wednesday.

LOTS OF KIDS, A MONKEY, AND A CASTLE is director Gustavo Salmerón's bizarro documentary homage to his own mother. What could be a glorified home movie (which would prove correct mother Julita's prediction that nobody outside of friends and family would want to watch) is brought to life by her...amusingly aggressive personality. The title comes from the three wishes she had in life. Since she was a little girl, she wanted lots of kids, a monkey, and a castle. And, amazingly enough, she got them all. But now the kids are grown, although some of them still come back and live at home for...too long. And the monkey was not as charming of a pet as you'd think, so they didn't remain a monkey-owning family. And they've fallen on some hard times and have to move out of their broken down castle. But at least she still has her grandmother's vertebra. And an extendable poking stick. And lots more of odd knick-knacks. A charming little wonder of a movie, about a pretty weird family.

And then a Secret Screening. Let's pretend I'm still not allowed to talk about it. Because I didn't enjoy it as much as the description led me to believe I would. I'm not going to say it was bad. In fact, much of what I didn't like--overwrought emotional performances, everything wrapped up so nicely at the end--will probably make it popular. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Total Running Time: 211 minutes
My Total Minutes: 476,346

No comments: