Friday, April 29, 2016

Jason goes to SFIFF--Day 8

Just one more film last night (Thursday.) I was supposed to see a second one, but...well, when I get to it I'll tell the brief story. I don't want to dwell too much.

Anyway, I first caught a strange, inventive, visual pop-art project, SIXTY SIX. It's kind of a short film program, in that all the chapters were originally made as short films, using photographs and comic book art (including using a lightbox to see both sides of the comics page superimposed, which is really cool, and makes for some surprisingly scenes of The Flash.) But they are sequenced in a very particular order, that put together make...not a single narrative (most of the chapters aren't even narrative themselves) but a growing meditation on a theme. On a time. On a place. On a style. 1966 is before my time--director Lewis Klahr was 10, but I was negative-8--so for me it's a sense of weird nostalgia for a time before I was alive (I might be an "old soul," I frequently feel false nostalgia for times before I was born. Most noticeably with silent films.) Anyway, there's no way I can possibly tell you what this was all about. I'm not even sure I can tell you how I felt about it. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it. But I'll have to mull on that for a while.

And then I got a ticket for RADIO DREAMS. And I walked over to the Victoria theater for the screening. And the place was a madhouse. I got inside, but every seat was taken. All the empty seats--they were all being saved by someone for their 2 or more friends who were totally in the theater. I believe them, because the aisles were too crammed for me to walk down to find any other seats. So after a few frustrating minutes of that, I panicked, gave up, walked out, and went home. I'm sure the movie was probably great. I'll never know.

Running Time: 90 minutes
My Total Minutes: 427,450

No comments: