Friday, April 22, 2016

Jason goes to CAAMFest--Wednesday, Mar 16th

I've fallen way far behind, so time for some quickie updates, starting with some Shorts - Portraits From The Schoolyard. Here we go.

AMERICA 1979: An Iranian-American family deals with the Iranian hostage crisis, and the racist bullying that results at school.
STUDY ABROAD 2: THE DAYDREAMING BUNNY: A Chinese art student in New York deals with her mother not believing in her and the difficulty of living in New York. But she gets by, with help.
FROM TONGA: Euless Texas, home to many Polynesian immigrants, and--of course, since it's Texas--high school football. A short documentary about the Tongan students who dominate on the field.
BORN WITH IT: An African boy in Japan lives with some horrible racist bullying. Like that all Africans have AIDS. But he at least breaks through with one friend.
HOROSCOPE: Two friends ride the bus, and meet an unusual man.
PIONEER HIGH: A Palestinian American girl, with little English, accidentally leads a revolution in clothing choices, overturning the school's longtime ban on girls wearing pants.

And then the documentary NO LAND'S SONG. I should have a lot more to say about this excellent documentary about Sara Najafi (the diretor's sister) and her efforts to put on a all-female concert in Iran, confronting the ban on women singing solo. Which...is a pretty unbelievable ban. Anyway, like I said I should have a lot more to say. But I also said I'm way behind and this has to be a quickie update. So I'll just say it was an excellent documentary (which I've already said.)

Total Running Time: 184 minutes
My Total Minutes: 424,975

No comments: