Thursday, October 15, 2015

Jason watches THE WALK in IMAX 3-D

I'm a bit acrophobic, so I fully expected to have to flinch and squirm in my seat at scenes of a man walking a tightrope across the Twin Towers. Especially in IMAX 3-D. And I was mostly right, although surprisingly most of that was in the lead-up and preparation. The walk itself was shot almost serenely, matching wire-walker Philippe Petit's mood. The story I already knew from the excellent documentary MAN ON WIRE (2008, and highly recommended.) THE WALK just gives it breathtakingly realized life. And that's a good thing.

As for the 3-D, I figured there would be little chance of it breaking my rule (into the screen is good, out of the screen is bad.) After all, the money shot is looking down from great distance. But Zemeckis found plenty of ways to create annoying action out of the screen, be it an arrow in flight or a bird. But still, it's mostly good.

Running Time: 123 minutes
My Total Minutes: 406,134

No comments: