Friday, April 25, 2014

Jason watches HAROLD AND MAUDE: LIVE ON STAGE

Courtesy of the Los Altos Stage Company, a mere ~10 minutes away from my work.

I love the movie HAROLD AND MAUDE, and I'm very pleased that the stage adaptation is very faithful to the movie, and uses (but doesn't overuse) pre-filmed projected content for the scenes they can't pull off on stage. Oh, and my friend Ray played Father Finnegan, which is how I knew about this in the first place.

It's faithful to the movie, and the acting is great. That's pretty much all you need to know to run out to see it now. But I will add that they kept my favorite, subtle part of the movie--that Maude is a Holocaust survivor. They even set it in the right time so that my bizarre Maude/Hitler hypothesis could still work (this is the main reason why a modern update would never work for me.) And they kept it just as subtle--no explicit mention of it, just a number tattooed on her arm. Nicely done.


No comments: