Thursday, June 28, 2012

Jason watches THE RAVEN at the Cinedome 7 Newark

Here begins a trilogy of movies I really wanted to like, but fell short.

But first, let me reiterate the good news for East/South-ish Bay cinephiles on a budget. The Cinedome 7 Newark is a discount theater. $2 normally. $1 on Tuesdays (when I went to see THE RAVEN as the first half of a double feature), and if you bring 3 or more people in a group, 75¢ per person on Family Mondays. BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!! They're so out of date, they still show on film! (At least, every time I've been there it's been film. The website does say they're equipped for digital, but I haven't seen it.) And I've never seen more than two previews before a movie. It's really a very sweet deal. The only reason you haven't heard more about it (unless you read my blog) is because Cinemark (who owns the theater) wants you to spend your money at their fancy new state-of-the-art (i.e., all digital) multiplex at Pacific Commons, Fremont (oddly, they've even started advertising that at their Union Landing theater in Union City.) I don't really want to criticize their business practices, I just want you all to know about the Cinedome Newark while it still exists (which I'm afraid won't be much longer if more people don't start showing up. Even on $1 Tuesdays the place is practically empty.)

Oh, anyway, as for THE RAVEN, a killer is doing his thing in Baltimore, inspired by the writing of Edgar Allan Poe (John Cusack, whose face isn't round enough for the role.) It sets up a battle of Logic (the killer) vs. Passion (Poe.) Unfortunately, the film lacks both.

Running Time: 110 minutes
My Total Minutes: 288,403

No comments: