Sunday, August 28, 2011

Jason slips into a Vortex for SOMETHING WILD

My friend Ira took over the Vortex room again last Thursday for a Walk on the Wild Side double feature. I couldn't stay for the late screening of Scorsese's AFTER HOURS (which I've seen before anyway), but I did see the first show--SOMETHING WILD.

Corporate player Jeff Daniels meets exciting wild girl Melanie Griffith, who kidnaps him and takes him on a crazy sexual adventure. But when she takes him home to meet her mother, things start to take an odd turn. Suddenly her character has more depth to it. It's not he who is making a change and becoming wild, but she who seems to want to become more conventional. And when her ex (Ray Liotta) shows up, you can kinda see why. He a psycho who just got out of prison, and wants her back.

Funny movie, and you get to see Melanie Griffith naked back when that meant something. Oh, and years later Jeff Daniels made DUMB AND DUMBER with Jim Carrey. There's a scene in that film where they walk out of a restaurant without paying by tricking the guy who's chasing them into picking up the check. Jim Carrey's character (I think, it's been a while since I saw it) says he saw the trick in a movie. Well, that movie might just have been SOMETHING WILD.

Running Time: 114 minutes
My Total Minutes: 247,465

No comments: